Sunday, July 15, 2012

An Apple Doesn't Fall Far from the Tree


Look at us! This picture makes me happy.  Ben's mom, Cathy, was able to visit us for the last week of June. It had been years since we'd seen her (when Nicole was a few months old!) and although we've kept in touch all that time, it was wonderful to get to spend time with her again in person. She is a wonderful lady and so much fun. The kids adore her! Here are some of my favorite photos from the week:



Greg and Nicole loved taking pictures of themselves and playing with them on Cathy's phone. She was very patient and there were always lots of giggles. (I hope her phone survived.)



During her stay, we got to help "hoe beans" at the LDS church farm. Cathy was a good sport and went along with us. I stayed back with the baby and the camera (of course) but it sounds like they had a fun time.



Nicole LOVED having "another girl" around. (I'm not sure what that makes me.) She told me later that "Grandma Barker tells the best stories."  



One night we roasted hot dogs in our fire pit. I like this action shot.



And one night we had my parents come for dinner. We made pulled pork, homemade french fries, and Cathy's first ever dutch oven peach cobbler.

It was really sweet when Josh had both grandmas at the same time. He kept looking from one to the other. It took him a few moments to process it and then he got a huge grin on his face. The more grandmas the better!



The kids had swimming lessons every day that week and Cathy was a good sport (again) to come along. We had fun laughing at the kids and she was a huge help with baby-juggling and towels.  It's possible that she will only have memories of being super hot in the sun, but it was a really special time for me. (Thanks!) Oh and the kids learned a little about swimming too.



Cathy took us out for a frozen yogurt treat. The kids LOVE this place. (Greg has been known to randomly shout out "Kiwi Loco!" everywhere we go, just because the name sounds cool to him.)



We also went out to pizza and the boys had fun getting Grandma's help with their place-mat puzzles.  I will also always remember this as the setting for some really cool stories that Cathy told Ben and I about their early days. I love family moments! Time seems to stand still.



But in the end, time didn't stand still forever and we had to let Cathy leave. She is a remarkable woman and I'm so thankful to her for sharing herself with us, for providing all the good laughs, and of course for giving me Ben.

We love you, Cathy/Grandma/Mom!

2 comments:

Kat said...

I love times like that. It is wonderful to have those memories. :) Glad you were able to have those times.

Sabrina O'Malley said...

What a special time for both your family and her. I bet she was in Heaven being with all her little grandkids.

I also loved your previous post. I too have been feeling a little less attractive in my swimwear, among other things. It was a good reminder to focus on the most important things.