You'd better be good - because you never know who's watching!
It's been SUCH a wonderful Christmas season for me so far. I always love the lights and music and even snow. But this year there's something that has made it extra special.Our bishop challenged each family in our ward to do certain things this Christmas season. What a difference it has made for me. Our bishop isn't your bishop, but I'm sure everyone can benefit in real ways from doing some of these things:
-Cut holiday budget in half
-Attend First Presidency Christmas broadcast
-Have some version of anonymous gift giving
-Visit widows, elderly, etc.
-Give and receive priesthood blessings
-Parents write letters to their children
-Mend bridges with the offended
-Attend the temple during December
We haven't done all of them yet but we plan to. And several of them I have done multiple times - the feeling gets better every time! I'm going to save this list for next year as well - and come to think of it, it probably wouldn't hurt to keep it posted on the fridge all year. If I've had a grumpy [pregnant] day, doing any of these things has boosted my spirits. I challenge YOU to try it out.
Note: Ben's first action on the list was in response to #1. We baked cookies and cut them all in half and delivered a plate of half-cookies to the bishop's family. =o) I guess everyone has their own interpretation.
Merry Christmas!

 [<a href='function.file-put-contents'>function.file-put-contents</a>]: Only 0 of 29540 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space in <b>/usr/local/home/vhosts/pyzamstuff.com/httpdocs/savefamily.php</b> on line <b>19</b><br /></div><div>http://www.pyzamstuff.com/family_images/c/c5/b740c415d7f515fc755786344c855f.png)
5 comments:
I like Ben's idea. :) Then there's ours. Those are great ideas. We've been able to do a few of those and its really helped this year!
nice. I was going to write something in there about ours but decided not to and forgot to take that sentence out. :)
We are trying to simplify things this Christmas. It is so enjoyable. We hung up a little calendar for the kids to check on their way out the door to school. It has simple things like looks for someone who needs a friend or help. Draw a picture and give it to someone, wish a neighbor Merry Christmas, etc. It has been fun to open their eyes to others.
I love that! What a great challenge for the Bishop to give. I have been looking for ways to make Christmas more Christlike.
Ha! I knew #1 would be Bens's favorite, but the cookie thing was too funny! That is great council from your bishop - Thanks for sharing it. My mother in law told me yesterday that in their stake in Aberdeen the stake presidency has declared next week "Family Week". No meetings are to be held outside of the 3 hour block - even Home Teaching/Visiting Teaching, etc. (It's supposed to be done before.) I thought that was such a great thing!! You Idahoans have it figured out! :) Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment