Meet Jamie, Nicole's new friend. Ben thought it would be fun to get out his old "Pumpkin Patch" toy (not doll) for Nicole to play with. Ben got Jamie when he was a few years old. They were buddies. What a great idea to bring him out of the box for Nicole! One problem. It's not that she doesn't love him... she does.
But Jamie is NASTY. Filthy. Gross. I believe Ben when he says that he took Jamie everywhere. Doesn't this kissing picture make you want to scrub poor Nicole's face? Jamie took a trip through the washing machine (before the picture) but that didn't help much. I suggested the relic go back into the box. Ben was heartbroken of course. Jamie disappeared for a few weeks and as a surprise for Ben, I decided to try again. First I took mug shots:
Ew.
Nice red scuffs. Mysterious smears.
Some kind of typed ink ingrained into his head. I couldn't make out the words but there were distinct letters.
Oh, and these aren't Jamie's original clothes. They were stolen from a teddy bear. I think Jamie wore them most of his existence though, because that's where the "dirt lines" are most pronounced.Here's what I did:
1. I reinforced the stitching so Jamie wouldn't lose any limbs in the washing process. (He had obviously been repaired before, several times.)
2. Scrubbed his head and hands with a variety of cleaners. The prize goes to Mr. Clean magic erasers. It only took a couple hours. Yes, I wore gloves. It turns out that Jamie has freckles!
3. Three more trips through the washing machine - in a pillowcase AND laundry bag for protection. I give the most credit to OxiClean - the spray and powder, although the combinations of bleach and baking soda probably didn't hurt.
4. Time for clothes. Even eBay couldn't help me out. (No, cabbage patch clothes don't work, I tried.) So I made my own pattern, and practiced by making pajamas for Jamie. The fabric was left over from the first pajamas I ever made for Ben. It worked! I adjusted a little and made Jamie a real outfit.
Very pleased with myself, I dressed Jamie, wrapped him, and presented him to Ben on Christmas. Ben received other gifts from us that he knew about, but I always try to have a surprise. I think it worked!
There are other good pictures but I like the crowd response in this one!
Nicole was a little suspicious of Jamie at first. "Who's this guy with the clean face and weird clothes?" I don't know if Ben was as excited about the gift as I was (aside from the tear in his eye, previous post). But I think Jamie got a pretty good make-over! 




 [<a href='function.file-put-contents'>function.file-put-contents</a>]: Only 0 of 29540 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space in <b>/usr/local/home/vhosts/pyzamstuff.com/httpdocs/savefamily.php</b> on line <b>19</b><br /></div><div>http://www.pyzamstuff.com/family_images/c/c5/b740c415d7f515fc755786344c855f.png)
11 comments:
Wow! I am impressed!!! The clothes are awesome!!! Good job. :)
Very good job..you have got some patience..I would have just gotten rid of him and bought a new one that was on sale at walmart after thanksgiving for 5.00...haha
I'm with Vanessa on this one, but good for you!
I am so completely impressed. I love Magic Erasers. They are amazing! You did such a good job. And I also love the new clothes. Very classy.
WOW! that sounds like a lot of work for a doll...uh I mean toy.
but for the sentimental value was worth it. It looks brad new! good job.
WOW, You did an awsome job cleaning up that baby!!! How are you? Do you know what you are having? I am so excited for you, when are you due?
wow!! what an extreme makeover! he looks great :) i love the clothes you made too. true talent girl! happy new year! xoxo
You are so awesome and very persistent. I would have given up! I love the PJ's.
Wow! I wouldn't have thought to use Magic Erasers! Good thinking!
I better stop before I hit my day's quota for exclamation po!nts!!
That really is an amazing makeover. Very impressive. What a thoughtful gift, too!
Ben got Jamie because when Duff and I told Ben we were going to have a baby he was pretty irritated and wanted to have a baby of his own or else life just was not fair. Sorry about the filth... a 24 year old doll...You rock! Love the duds you made.
Post a Comment