Jonathan is a Cub Scout now! At pack meeting this week he got to help with the outdoor flag ceremony.
As he saluted the flag and we all said the Pledge of Allegience, I got choked up. I've always had a heart full of patriotism, and seeing my little boy do the honors put me over the top.
After the meeting was over, he helped retire the flag and folded it perfectly. As much as I struggled being a scout leader a few years ago, I can now see the difference it makes for the boys. Service and Obedience. Respect and Honor. How could you go wrong with a motto that says "Do Your Best!"?
Jonathan earned his Bobcat award during the first month of scouts, and of course he got to pin it on his mom. (Ben pointed out that with our four boys coming up, I'll have quite a collection of pins in the future!) Jonathan is now in the Wolf Den and I think he looks great in his uniform.
What I love most about scouts for Jonathan is that he's having FUN! They went fishing for his very first den meeting and he caught this beauty. It was the first and biggest one caught on their trip. Grandma helped cook it and he shared with all of us.
The next week they made kites from scratch (the fancy kind), and his favorite activity so far has been when they learned how to make and read secret codes. Jonathan's scout leaders are fantastic.
Jonathan starts school this coming Monday. He should be really excited about it but all he can talk about is how he can't wait for scouts after school. So it has begun. I'm a scout mom!





 [<a href='function.file-put-contents'>function.file-put-contents</a>]: Only 0 of 29540 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space in <b>/usr/local/home/vhosts/pyzamstuff.com/httpdocs/savefamily.php</b> on line <b>19</b><br /></div><div>http://www.pyzamstuff.com/family_images/c/c5/b740c415d7f515fc755786344c855f.png)
4 comments:
Nice fish, Jonathan!
I agree, Kristen. Scouts is a great character builder for kids. It's worth all the hard work!
Congratulations to Jonathan on earning his bobcat!
You did so awesome with all of your fair entries! What a great mother you are. I can't wait to see that new baby wrapped in the blanket you made.
Ben and I just talked about how glad we are we just have girls! =) Thank goodness we don't have to go to pack nights. Better be careful what I say, huh?! =)
@Steph...I have 3 girls and I"m over scouts in our ward. Be careful!!
Kristen, welcome to the crazy fun world of scouting. :)
Post a Comment