Friday, November 14, 2008

Feeling Crafty

The kids were sick this week. Nothing miserable - they just sounded like a bunch of seals. So we stayed home from everything. Aside from constantly refilling humidifiers, that left me a lot of free time to play with my projects during naps etc. It was great! Here are some of the results:
I finished my table runner! Here's how it looks on our table. (A friend gave me the centerpiece for my birthday - Ben told the kids that it's a Pilgrim and an Indian dancing on a pickle.)
I learned a lot of new skills along the way! At the church activity, we painted the backsides of real leaves and stamped them onto the fabric with a special kind of paint. That was the end of the official project. But I wanted to make mine "nice." So I taught myself (with some coaching from my sis-in-law and mom) how to heat-set the paint, layer the fabrics, machine stitch around each leaf, and bind the edges. If only it were as easy as it sounds. But I enjoyed it and now I know how to do these things the next time I feel adventurous.
I have a new appreciation for this kind of stitching. I keep going to the table and running my hand over it lovingly. (Maybe that's why it's called a table runner?) The binding looks black but it's actually a chocolate brown - yummy - with a decorative stitch holding it in place.

Total cost: $5 It's supposed to be machine washable, but I doubt I'll ever take that chance. No Cheetos allowed at our table in the month of November!
Project #2 was a baby quilt for a friend. It's a good thing she doesn't know about my blog, or I'd be spoiling the surprise! Sshhh, don't tell. It's a rag quilt, which is my specialty - meaning that it's the only kind I've ever made. I do have my own way of binding the edges though, which keeps it more sturdy and it looks cleaner from the backside. Look closely above and you'll see the pillow I made from the extra squares.

I had to show a closeup of the main pattern. So cute for a boy! If you want the instructions for this, ask Chelon (Colquitt Clan). =o) I think it took about ten hours from beginning to end. I will start working on OUR baby's blanket one of these days.
Sorry if my crafts weren't very exciting to read about. I have some fun pictures of Nicole I'll post soon - I had forgotten they were on my camera. She's a nut! Until next time... Happy Thanksgiving Season!

6 comments:

Sunni said...

Lovely crafting! I don't understand how having kids stay home from everything means you have extra craft time... Good job though. Cute Stuff!

Kristen said...

Good point, I guess it needs explained...

No scouts, no visiting grandparents, no enrichment mini-classes, no kindergarten carpool, no grocery shopping, etc. For a few days I was a stay-at-home mom who actually got to stay at home! =o)

Montana at the Helm said...

I love your crafting projects. They look great! I am envious of your creativity and craftiness! I'm not as talented and don't have much patience. But I love seeing all the cute things you make.

Anonymous said...

That's the kind of quilt I want to make someday. After I figure out how to fix the gaps between materila on my Halloween quilt. :)

That runner is awesome too! Wow. You'd spend a load of money for something like that!!!!

And you're allowed to steal my background - if you haven't already. It hadn't loaded while I was reading your posts. :)

chelon:) said...

i love the rag quilts!! and yes i have the instructions :) that is a really cute one. i love the table runner! i swear that one of these days i am going to get some time to myself and do some crafting...yeah right!!

Jenn said...

Those turned out great! I love seeing projects. It makes me think, "I might try that." But I think the table runner sounds to hard for me. I love how it turned out!