Here's our garden - 50 feet by 25 feet. You can see two garden sprinklers there but BLAH they don't work very well. The wind blows the mist so that the surrounding weeds take a shower while the garden stays dry - and I come behind with a hose sprayer to spray down the garden. Sound fun? Well I didn't mind too much for a couple years but we came up with a plan B!
This last weekend, we built our own soaker hose system. I laid out and staked the soaker hoses - carefully so I wouldn't smash our baby plants. Ben cut hoses, attached ends, and fit together the uh... things. So now all we have to do is turn on the faucet. It's working right now as I'm sitting here at the computer - and the water is going right to the roots. No more wasted water! Here's the back side of the garden, showing our amazing high tech work:
There's a row of raspberries that I just planted, that the hoses are snaked through. Eventually they will hide the yellow hoses from view of the house. I love creating our own little piece of the world. A few more random pictures from our yard:
This is the start of our vineyard! It's a concord grape plant. We have three of them and pretty soon they will need to be tied onto the fence. That's our next project - actually building the wire fence.
Here's our house from the front. The island has been a headache for me for a long time but after a LOT of work, I love it now. I discovered an amazing groundcover if anyone is looking for one. And here's a closeup of the violets:
I love how they peek through the stones.
And daisies - they are pretty in a vase.
One side of our house is rose bushes. This one was having a hard time but with careful pruning, it looks great now! I can't wait for it to bloom again - huge orange roses.
Have you figured out this picture yet? Our cats have been using this flowerbed as a litter box so the bulbs haven't been able to do anything. I decided to discourage the cats by sticking 250 toothpicks into the dirt all over the area. I may be a little crazy but it's working! Green leaves are starting to come up. It's the best 70 cents I've ever spent.

 [<a href='function.file-put-contents'>function.file-put-contents</a>]: Only 0 of 29540 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space in <b>/usr/local/home/vhosts/pyzamstuff.com/httpdocs/savefamily.php</b> on line <b>19</b><br /></div><div>http://www.pyzamstuff.com/family_images/c/c5/b740c415d7f515fc755786344c855f.png)
14 comments:
All the talk about gardening makes me miss seeing you water your plant here in Utah. You sure have moved up in size. I would post picutres of our garden but you have completely put ours to shame. The island sure is beautiful. And your toothpick garden is awesome. How much did you say you spent on those seed, 70 cents?
Dang it. Jenn beat me to the 'toothpick garden' joke.
It was actually the toothpicks that were 70 cents. =o) I thought that was funny because at first I was afraid to "waste" our toothpicks so I went and got a box just for that purpose. 70 cents.
I guess those flowers were actually free. Except the labor of moving the bulbs over from my mom's house. Hmm I'd say they're worth $300. =o)
You should try a tootpick garden. Our cats' teeth have never been cleaner.
Wow! I am soooooooooooo jealous!!! I love your garden, you guys have a beautiful yard too. Anytime you want to come do mine?
I love your garden and yard. Living in St. George you don't see those kinds of things, so it is nice to see such things. I love the toothpick garden! When do they start to bloom?
Uh, tell me you have a riding lawn mower for your 400 acre lawn. I love to garden and am totally jealous of all your space!
HAHAHAHAHA PIMPLOL about the toothpicks in the self appointed litter box. That is THE BEST. I have never heard of that before.. did you come up with that?
I LOVE your yard. It is incredible and I can't imagine how much time it takes to do all of that. Yeah, your garden is making our tiny square foot one look very sad. You do are GREAT job, that island looks amazing!
Huh. So THAT"S what a garden should look like. Huh. (Scratching my head...). Sigh. I give up.
I love square foot gardens! I even miss mine - I hear it's not there anymore though.
If you're really jealous, there's a house down the street for sale, on 4 acres... =o) (That's the first time we've had friends move away in the two years we've been here!)
Nope, not there anymore. They just mow over that area which is sad because I recognize the irises' leaves among all the chopped up flora.
Oh my goodness! That is the most prettiest garden, land everything Ive seen. Nice big yard. So diffrent from your old house. Im jealous. Its so pretty!
I am so impressed with your creative gardening, not to mention the garden. Your house is also beautiful. I am so excited for you and all the hard work you have put in to making the yard beautiful. I can't wait until we have a home and garden someday. For now I am happy with our potted tomato plants.
AAAH! I have not been able to do a garden since Utah..oh wait I actually NEVER got to plant that beautiful box garden with the fence and all that. I loveto garden. I even love watering it is like therapy so for now I will have to just be happy with my flower beds and 6 live indoor plants. your yard look beautiful!
WOW! I am impressed! :) And I can't wait to see what your favorite soon-to-be-blooming plant is. Don't forget to post it! This is probably a dumb question, but what variety of daisy is that? I see them all over, EXCEPT where you can buy them, and I want some!
Post a Comment